I am an extremely picky oatmeal eater – I can’t tell you how many boxes of instant oatmeal (in a variety of flavors!) that I have tasted and gotten rid of after the first bite. Many thanks to my cousin Barb for sending me the link for this delicious and healthy summer oatmeal treat – originally from http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/220/Blueberry+Maple+Refrigerator+Oatmeal. I modified this a bit to use some different fruits, but it was simple to make ahead of time and just grab in the morning on the way to work.
- 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup fruit (enough to fill the jar)
- In a half pint (1 cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, and maple syrup.
- Put lid on jar and shake until well combined.
- Remove lid, add fruit, and stir until mixed throughout.
- Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to two days.
- Eat chilled.
- The original recipe called for blueberries as the fruit. I also tried strawberries and peaches.
- Chia seeds are extremely high in fiber and very good for you! I’m sure the recipe could be done without but they definitely add something to it. I found them at the local farmer’s market bulk stand in the spice section.
- I think it tasted better after being left out for a little bit (maybe like a half hour) to get it closer to room temperature instead of completely cold straight from the fridge.