You can pick up a container of chicken salad (another good summer treat!) at just about any grocery store deli, but as always – any time you buy something pre-made you have no control over what ingredients are included. Another thanks to www.theyummylife.com for this great whole food chicken salad recipe that is easily made, good for you, and tastes delicious!
- 4 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until well combined.
- You could substitute any kind of nuts that you like. I believe the original recipe called for pecans which are not my favorite thing. I’d like to try almonds next time (although the walnuts were great). The original recipe also had you toast the nuts before adding to the salad…in my non-central-air house in the summer, untoasted nuts worked just fine!
- I used homemade mayonnaise to keep the ingredients as natural as possible (see https://geisha666blog.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/mayonnaise-2/ for my recipe).
- The honey made the dressing a little sweet – very good flavor!
- It does dry out after a day or two in the fridge, this is easily solved by adding a little fresh yogurt to it before eating.
- I used boneless skinless chicken breasts diced into small pieces and then cooked in a little olive oil – but this would be a great use for leftover chicken also.