I don’t like to buy the little packets of taco seasoning at the store, mainly because Bob and I usually only make half a pound of taco meat at a time and I’d prefer to be able to portion it out a little more easily. Plus, I’m always on that kick to try and avoid any unnecessary ingredients!
I found a slew of good seasoning mix recipes at http://www.budget101.com, including this one. We tested it out as part of another recipe that I’ll be posting shortly, and I couldn’t tell the difference from the store-bought kind as far as taste. Definitely cheaper also!
- 6 teaspoons chili powder
- 5 teaspoons paprika
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Measure all ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- Seven teaspoons of mix equal a 1.25 oz. pkg. of purchased taco seasoning mix.