In the never-ending quest to find tasty breakfasts that are both relatively healthy and easy to make ahead and take to work, I came across this recipe for baked oatmeal. Not a new idea, I realize, but one I never tried before. I made my first pan today and it tasted good!
- 3 cups quick oats
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Batter will be very thin, don’t worry it will thicken as it cooks!
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until firm.
- Cut into squares and serve with your choice of toppings.
- I halved the original recipe above and put it into a round cake pan.
- I placed that cake pan on a lined cookie sheet in case it spilled over – but it doesn’t really rise, so I think I’d be safe without that step next time.
- Definitely let it bake until it looks golden brown on top – I think I could have let mine cook a few extra minutes (I took it out around the 50 minute mark).
- Very tasty, each wedge fit neatly into a ziploc snack bag and is ready to be taken to work and reheated for a quick breakfast next week!