Another no picture one, but Shake and Bake isn’t all that exciting to look at anyway! This is a homemade version of your original Shake and Bake mix.
- 4 cups flour
- 4 cups dry bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup oil
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Dribble in oil and mix thoroughly.
- Store in a well-sealed container.
To Cook Chicken or Pork Chops:
- Use 1/2 cup mix per 3 pounds cut up chicken or 2 pounds bone-in pork chops
- Put mix in a plastic bag, add meat one or two pieces at a time and shake to coat.
- Bake at 400 degrees til cooked through, 30-45 minutes (depending on bone or no bone).
- This makes a lot of mix. I halved the recipe and got seven or eight 1/2 cups servings out of it.
- I like to make more of a chicken nugget type thing with these, so I cut up boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and coat them. Twenty minutes is almost too long, they can dry out easily if you overcook them.
- I really liked it! I used cracker crumbs instead of bread crumbs so it looked a little odd (not quite authentic) but the taste was good. Oddly enough, the paprika is what really makes it taste like real Shake and Bake.
- Bob thought it was a little bland. I suggested that it’s probably because the last few boxes of the real thing that we got were flavored (I think we had Italian and Parmesan). So we will probably try adding some oregano or basil to the next batch, and maybe Parmesan cheese to another one.