Another winning recipe from For The Birds: Easy to Make Recipes for Your Feathered Friends. I made this over the weekend and we had a nuthatch who went crazy for it!
- 1 cup lard
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs (with shells)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium to large bowl and pour into a greased 9-inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool before removing from pan, and hang this treat from trees or birdfeeders using mesh bags (like the ones in which you buy onions, fruit, or potatoes)
- Yields 1 cake.
- I didn’t have crunchy peanut butter in the house (yuck) so I used regular.
- I barely made it to 30 minutes and the edges of my cake were starting to get dark. My oven tends to run a little hot, but I would say definitely check around 25 minutes just to be safe.
- Rather than messing with the mesh bag, we just take small pieces and crumble them underneath the birdfeeder. That way everyone gets to enjoy a little!