Been trying to make this one for a while – seemed like a healthy (healthier) alternative to standard ground beef meatballs. While they didn’t come out quite as I expected, they were still delicious! Credit goes to http://www.dinneralovestory.com/chicken-parm-meatballs/. Another great make-ahead recipe.
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, whisked
- zest of half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14-ounce can pizza sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella (sliced thinly)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together all ingredients except oil, sauce, and mozzarella.
- Shape into medium-sized meatballs (makes approximately 12).
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Mix one spoonful of sauce with olive oil; brush on top of each meatball.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- (at this point you can remove from oven and freeze/refrigerator for another day – if you do so, reheat defrosted meatballs for 15 minutes in the oven before proceeding to the next step)
- Spoon additional sauce over each meatball and top with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Broil 3-5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- I was amazed at how exactly these tasted like regular meatballs. I said to Bob that if someone had blindfolded me and handed me a bite of one, I would have assumed it was a standard one made with beef.
- I did modify this quite a bit – used dried onion/parsley/garlic, squirted in a little lemon juice instead of using zest, and I eliminated the sauce completely (not huge on sauce). My slices of mozzarella were also a little thicker than the ones used in the original recipe….but it just melted into a nice thin layer and left a perfect browny layer in the bottom of the pan for me to snack on as I took the meatballs out!
- I like how you can make this ahead, I did one set in the fridge that we ate today and put another in the freezer for another day. Very easy to reheat.