I tried these for the first time tonight and I am IN LOVE (thank you http://www.funandfoodcafe.com/2011/01/fried-zucchini.html for the recipe!). These were filling, tasty, and really not bad for you in any way that I can see! While I’ll always have a special place in my heart for regular potato-based french fries, I can see these being a good alternative.
- 3 small zucchini (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 packet Shake & Bake mix (see here for a recipe to make your own!)
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Trim zucchini, and cut into 1/4 inch sticks.
- Add cheese to Shake & Bake mix, shake gently to combine.
- Whisk egg in medium bowl.
- Add zucchini, toss gently to coat.
- Use tongs to place 1/4 of the zucchini in the shaker bag; close bag and shake evenly to coat.
- Spread onto baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- I (for once!) really didn’t modify the recipe in any way. I didn’t have to. It was excellent on its own.
- If you live in a non-central-air house like me, you may find it interesting to note that these also cook up well on the grill. In the summer (when zucchini is plentiful!) it’s a great way to make them without having to turn on the oven (making your house even hotter). Just prepare in the same way, but put on a piece of aluminum foil (I folded mine in half and then turned up the edges a little so the zucchini couldn’t slide off too easily). Put your little foil boat on the grill and cook for about the same amount of time, or until crispy…depends on how high you have the flame for whatever else you are cooking!