A co-worker introduced me to this recipe a while back. As I recall, she had made a big bowl and left it in the kitchen at the office…along with four very hungry managers who were having a meeting, we ate half the bowl before we had even realized what happened!! The original recipe calls for a packet of dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix. Since I am of course trying to avoid anything pre-packaged like that, I took a mish-mash of a do-it-yourself recipe for the actual dressing mix and the recipe for the pretzels. I’m sure you can adjust the seasonings to your liking, but below is what I came up with. p.s. I’m on my second batch this week already.
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dillweed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bag large “broken” pretzels
- Mix all seasonings into the oil in a small bowl.
- Put pretzel pieces into a large bowl (I break them down to bite-sized but not tiny pieces).
- Drizzle oil mixture over pretzels, stirring well to coat.
- Spread pretzels out in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 15 minutes.
- I get my pretzels at the market in a smallish bag, so if you’re going to get the standard Wege broken pretzels you’d probably want to double the other ingredients.
- I have gotten very used to low-sodium snacks, so if this isn’t enough flavor for you, you could substitute the garlic/onion powders with garlic/onion salt.
- I could literally eat the whole bag of these. When I made the last batch I was eating them warm off the tray because I couldn’t wait. Really good stuff!