This was an attempt to replace those store bought breakfast cereal bars – filled with all sorts of nasty things! They should be so simple (and they can be). Thanks to Shine Food for the recipe.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- 3 cups Cheerios (toasted oat cereal)
- 3/4 cup roasted unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine butter, sugar, honey, salt, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Continue to boil for 1 to 2 minutes, then immediately remove from heat.
- Stir in cereal and almonds.
- Pour into lined pan, pressing down with a rubber spatula.
- Let cool completely (about 30 minutes), and cut into 16 squares.
- Bob (he’s the cereal bar eater, not me) though the flavor was good. They were very crunchy – I think he was expecting more of a rice krispie treat texture after watching me mix everything up (very similar process). Next time I may try increasing the amount of wet ingredients to see if it makes more of a gooey consistency.
- It took me at least three times as long just to chop the almonds as it did to make the entire rest of the recipe. I don’t see why you couldn’t just used sliced or slivered almonds and save yourself the headache!
- Bob also thought it needed a little something…his suggestion was Craisins. I’m sure you could get very creative with this recipe and mix and match the cereal/nuts/dried fruits to your liking, just like when making homemade granola.