I came across this recipe ages ago, not even sure how. I was amused by the play on words (Tempeh of the Sea to sound like Chicken of the Sea tuna). It sounded good and I keep wanting to find recipes to use tempeh in. Thanks to fortheloveoffoodblog.com for the recipe.
- 1 8-ounce package plain tempeh, crumbled
- 1/4 medium red onion, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 cup cashew mayo (or vegan mayo of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble tempeh and mix with the red onion, green onion, celery, relish, mayo, and brown mustard.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve cold or grilled.
- As usual, I made a few adjustments to this along the way. I’m not huge on raw onions anymore (ok, I LOVE them but they do not love me) so I substituted one extra green onion for the red. Green onions (scallions, spring onions, whatever you want to call them) still have good onion flavor but they don’t seem to be as strong to delicate bellies. I also used homemade vegan mayo (see recipe here).
- I used three-grain organic tempeh.
- I really liked it! Bob ate a spoonful and he didn’t die. I had a not-tuna sandwich for my lunch today and it was very enjoyable. Filling without being sickening. I still love regular tuna salad but this is a nice variation. I’m intrigued by the idea of grilling it, the guys at my hospital cafeteria used to grill the tuna salad before putting it on the bread when they made tuna melts and it was slammin’.