I’ve been wanting to try making vegan mayo for a while and yesterday I was making another vegan recipe that called for it. It’s just as easy to make as regular homemade mayo and tastes good too. Thanks to thatwasvegan.com for the recipe.
- 1 cup plain soy milk (not vanilla)
- 2 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- pinch of onion powder
- Pour the soy milk into a blender, cover and turn on low.
- Remove the center cap from the cover and slowly pour the oil in.
- Continue to run the blender, frequently checking the consistency (the longer you leave it in the thicker it will get).
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl and whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Store in a tightly sealed jar for up to a week.
- I used almond milk, seemed to work fine.
- The original recipe said it makes approximately three cups. I only needed one for my other recipe so I made a third batch (it’s a lot of fun figuring out how much 1/3 of 2 1/2 cups of oil is :). It did come out to just under 1 cup.
- I wasn’t worried about the results, it tastes like mayo. Would easily substitute this for real mayo any time.