Since I am always compelled to have multiple kinds of soaps and scrubs in my shower at any given moment, I decided to try this new coffee scrub recipe that I found. Thanks to thecoconutmama.com for the idea!
- 1 cup ground organic coffee
- 1 cup organic sugar or salt
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (optional)
- Melt coconut oil and allow it cool (but not solidify).
- Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container or mason jar.
- I used all the optional items. It does smell good!
- I halved the recipe for the experiment, it sounded like it made a lot (and it did). I used sugar (not salt).
- As for how well it works – the coffee definitely does scrub! My normal tried-and-true coconut oil/sugar scrub has a different ratio of scrubby ingredients to oil (this is 4 to 1 vs. the 2 to 1 ratio that I’m used to). I’m sure it also depends on how finely you grind the coffee, but you definitely feel the scrubbing!! Almost a little painful but it does feel good afterwards. I don’t intend to use this more than once or twice a week (or I may not have any skin left :)).
- One downside – it does make a terrible mess in the tub. If you are (or live with) a coffee drinker, you know how coffee grinds get all over the sink when you’re trying to rinse them out of something….this is on a much grander scale. I would recommend taking a cup or bowl into the shower with you to help rinse everything clean when you’re done!
- I always recommend putting shower items in plastic containers (although I’m usually a huge advocate of glass container storage!) – I know I’m a klutz and I drop things in the tub all the time, and you definitely don’t want glass in there. Even if it does look a lot prettier. 🙂