I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I think. I have been drooling over the picture for at least a month and finally decided to make it this weekend. I love soup that you put spinach in like this (I have a great recipe for a chicken tortellini soup with spinach that I’ll have to post up some day!). I was intrigued by the lemon flavor, as I love lemon and was curious how it would mesh in a chicken soup. Thanks to thecocinamonologues.com for the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large (or 3 small) carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 8 cups chicken broth
- zest and juice (about 1/3 cup) of 2 lemons
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cups orzo
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- a couple of generous handfuls of fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion; cook about 5 minutes (until veggies begin to soften).
- Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the broth, bay leaf, lemon zest, and lemon juice; bring to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook for 7-8 minutes, until orzo is tender.
- Add chicken and cook for a couple of minutes to allow it to heat through.
- Stir in spinach and allow it to wilt for about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, remove bay leaf and stir in parsley.
- I really did enjoy it. The only thing that I can say is that it is definitely very lemony! If you aren’t a lemon fan you will hate this soup. While I did like it (and am jonesing for another bowl of it as I am posting this blog!), I think the next time I might cut it back to zest and juice of one lemon to see how it compares. The lemon really does almost overwhelm the rest of the flavor of the soup.
- This can be really easy to make as there is very little prep work involved (depending on how “homemade” you want to go). Usually I’m a huge believer in making your own chicken broth; but due to the general laziness of the weekend I sucked it up and bought two boxes of sodium free chicken broth. I already had a pack of shredded chicken in the freezer (probably from making the last batch of broth :)) but you could do as the original recipe suggested and pick up a rotisserie chicken if you don’t want to bother with cooking your own. I think I made the entire thing from start to finish (including chopping the veggies) in less than a half hour.
- I don’t really believe in peeling carrots for soup. I didn’t bother.
- It’s a nice, light, soup; good for spring coming! I will definitely make it again.