Last year I tried a recipe for homemade barbecue sauce (see here if you’re interested). It wasn’t bad, but it was more like glorified tomato sauce and not that sort of smoky kind of sauce you think of when you want to grill barbecue chicken. I found a new recipe this year in anticipation of many happy grill nights to come. It turned out to be very tasty! Thanks to www.weedemandreap.com for the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons lard, tallow, or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon natural liquid smoke
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- While stirring, bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool.
- It really was that simple. One thing I can say is make sure you get all your ingredients together first. I decided that this looked really simple and I would just grab each thing as I got to it on the list…well, by the end my sauce was getting bubbly and I racing around trying to dig things out of cabinets, etc.
- I used coconut oil for the fat, and honey for the sweetener.
- I wasn’t impressed on appearance (still looked a little too tomato-ish), but when I licked off the spoon it was really really good. Just what I was going for.