These are two family recipes that I’ve been eating for as long as I can remember. I made them recently for the first time in a while for a family picnic, so please forgive the pictures – it was a long day of preparation and quite honestly I didn’t even remember to take them until the next day after the salads had sat in the fridge overnight! I put them together in the same recipe because…they’re basically the same. One you cook potatoes, the other you cook macaroni – and then from there they are identical.
- 3 pounds potatoes -OR- 4 cups cooked elbow or seashell macaroni
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- miracle whip
- onion powder
- Wash potatoes and boil in skins until easily pierced with a fork; drain, cool, remove skins and dice -OR- cook macaroni according to package instructions; drain, rinse, and cool.
- Peel eggs and chop.
- Place potatoes or macaroni, eggs, and celery in a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar, plus onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Toss lightly.
- Add equal amounts of miracle whip and mayonnaise, a tablespoonful at a time until salad is moist enough.
- Mix well.
- Taste! Add more seasonings as needed.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Be generous with the dressings. As you can see from the macaroni salad picture, they will dry out after sitting in the fridge for a few hours. Usually it just needs a good stir, but if you really skimp on the mayo/miracle whip initially you may need to add more later.
- These are more along the lines of “Amish Style” salads, as they tend to be a little sweet.
- You can make a vegan version of either salad fairly easily…omit the eggs, and use vegan dressings. I have a recipe for vegan mayo if you want to make your own (which I actually used in the pictures above!). I’ve seen recipes for vegan miracle whip online but was running short on time…I found a brand called Nayonaise that was supposed to be a good vegan substitute for miracle whip (a little sweeter than mayo). I made a little batch for my sister using it and she said it tasted ok – so worth a shot!