So last weekend Bob decided to vacuum the house, which meant I had to get guilted into cleaning something too. The only way I can make cleaning tolerable is to try out new cleaning recipes so that I can be distracted from the actual cleaning itself….so, I decided to do a thorough scrub of all the kitchen counters (as in actually taking everything off the counter instead of just wiping around all of it every night). I wanted a tough scrubbing cleaner, because for some reason the countertop under my dishrack has always been sort of nasty (even when we moved in). I found this recipe at http://bloom-doula.com.
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup borax
- 1/2 cup washing soda
- 1/2 cup baking soda (set aside 1 tablespoon if using essential oils)
- 15 drops essential oil (i.e. lime, lavender, lemon, or grapefruit)
- Combine salt, borax, washing soda, and baking soda in a container (preferably glass) with at least a 2 cup capacity.
- Hold 1 tablespoon of baking soda aside for combining essential oils.
- To add the essential oils to the dry mixture, grind the reserved tablespoon of baking soda with 15 drops of essential oil in a mortar and pestle.
- Grind and mix for several seconds and then combine into dry mixture.
- Shake well to combine all the ingredients.
- Use just as you would any store-bought abrasive cleaner like Ajax or Comet.
- Sprinkle a small amount of cleaner over desired surface, scrub, rinse clean.
- Worked just like the store-bought kind. It will really scrub the bejeezus out of whatever you are cleaning, so if you have delicate surfaces you may want to test an area first.
- Be sure you rinse everything really well. The powder can leave a residue behind if you do not.
- I combined my ingredients in a quart mason jar, and then used a little shaker jar to sprinkle on the counter. I wouldn’t store it in the shaker because if the moisture gets into it, it’ll likely be a giant lump.
- Even though I have this awesome mortar and pestle that I found at TJ Maxx for a bargain, I was too lazy to dig it out, wash it afterwards….(yeah, it was a really slothy kind of day). I just used a glass bowl and a spoon. Worked ok.
- I used lemon essential oil and it smelled lovely.
- Bottom line – worked fine for me. I would continue to use for my rare cleaning adventures! 🙂