This recipe caught my eye I think on Pinterest a while back. I’m always up for new ways to make zucchini, so I gave it a try this week. I ended up eating an entire zucchini 🙂 It was a small one, but I really never expected to eat the whole thing. It was just so yummy. Thanks to aroundthetableri.blogspot.com for the recipe.
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cups cheese (like Parmesan)
- 1/4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a mini-muffin pan (or line a cookie sheet with foil); set aside.
- Grate the zucchini, then place in a dish towel and squeeze out all excess water (very important!).
- In a bowl, combine egg, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, zucchini, salt, and pepper
- Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, fill the muffin cups to the top (or, use a rounded measuring tablespoon or cookie scoop to make small balls and spread out evenly on a lined cookie sheet).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top is browned and set.
- Like I said….delicious. I’m not sure if they are better than my zucchini fries, but pretty darn good nonetheless.
- I opted for the cookie sheet path (I really hate washing muffin tins). I would recommend using non-stick foil or spraying the foil first. I wasn’t really thinking and I ended up having to scrape the tots off of the foil when they were done.
- They are almost fluffy (guess that’s the egg). I was expecting them to be more crunchy like a tater tot, but they really weren’t. Good in a different way.
- I was definitely on the higher end of the timeframe for baking, in fact I think I even gave them a few extra minutes beyond the 18. I think this is something you definitely do not want to undercook, the browned top is what lets you know they are done.
- I made sure I bought two zucchini this week….so…you know they’re getting made again!