I have rarely been a cabbage fan in my life, but I found these cute little baby cabbages at one of my local discount grocery store treasures for 25 cents a head. I wanted to find a way to cook it that wouldn’t be offensively cabbage-flavored. Thanks to smilesandwich.com for the tasty recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 head cabbage; chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef; drain.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for one minute.
- Add butter, cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper to the pan; stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes until cabbage is soft.
- Pretty simple, right? The flavor was good, and the cabbage was not overwhelming.
- I halved this recipe to match up with my tiny head of cabbage.
- It also keeps well as a leftover – usually I hate eating anything a second time, but this is one of those recipes where everything soaks together in the fridge in a good way.