I finally learned to eat Brussels sprouts using the recipe at this link (duh, it has maple syrup in it :)). However, I wanted to see if I could be enough of a grown-up to eat them in a slightly less “doctored up” fashion. I was surprised to learn that I could! I sort of just threw this recipe together after looking at a bunch of similar recipes online.
- Brussels sprouts
- Seasoned bread crumbs
- Salt/pepper/garlic powder if desired
- Clean sprouts and cut into bite-sized pieces (halves or quarters if necessary, depending on the size of the sprouts).
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan, just enough to keep the sprouts from sticking.
- Add sprouts and cook for approximately 10 minutes, seasoning with a combination of salt, pepper, and garlic powder (whatever flavors you prefer).
- Once sprouts begin to brown (at the 10 minute mark), add some bread crumbs to the mixture.
- Cook for at least another 10 minutes, allowing bread crumbs to brown, until sprouts are tender and ready to eat.
- Add a tiny bit more oil if needed during the cooking process (do not saturate the sprouts).
- As with most veggies, I highly recommend smaller sprouts. They taste much better to me!
- I’ve been using a tasty combination sunflower & red palm oil (a great non-gmo thing that I found at one of my discount grocery stores dirt cheap!) to make this recipe. I’m sure olive oil would work great also.
- I think the browned bread crumbs are what really makes this recipe.